Friday, April 13, 2018

Irrigation System

Vineyard Update - Irrigation System

I appoligize to the readers of this blog that are interested in Shooting and Hunting. This is an update on some of the Vineyard work and my be boring to you. But I bet that there is someone on the internet that would enjoy reading about my irrigation system woes. 

It is Spring time and the vines are starting to wake up so it is time for me to get to work in the Vineyard. My irrigation for the grapes is all controlled with timers and solenoids so I can set specific watering profiles for different times of the year. 

The past few years I have had problems with the solenoids failing. I thought that it was the sun so I built this box to cover them. But they are still failing. 

When the system fails it is not apparent until the vines start changing color and at that point I have already done damage to the crop. 

 To make matters worse, something has decided to eat the wires that control the solenoids. So even if they are still good they don't turn on. 

So I decided that I would replace all the solenoids and put something on the wires to keep the varmints from chewing on them.  Here is the outcome of my efforts, new solenoids and jacketing on the wires to help deter varmint vandalism. From here on out I will replace them every few years as a matter of preventive maintenance. 


At this point I would like to mention how much I like the Polaris Ranger 570 Mid. It is a really useful tool in the Vineyard. It is small enough and maneuverable enough that I can go anywhere in the vineyard. But it also has enough carrying capacity that I can use it as a mini pick up truck. 


 So far it has proved to be a really useful tool and I am really happy that we bought it! 

No comments:

Post a Comment