Monday, October 22, 2018

Bird Knife Sheath 2


 Bird Knife Sheath Cont.

When I wet formed the pocket I made it slightly over sized with the intention of cutting it down to size. I used my skiving knife to cut it down to size. 


 Here is the final fit, I like to have a little of the knife stick up so that I can easily grab it and pull it out. 


 Here are the templates that I made and the leather that I will use for the two pieces. The templates have the overall shape and all the fold lines that I will use as a reference when wet forming these pieces to shape. 


  The back loop needs to be skived so that it has a nice smooth transition. Before skiving it is always a good idea to sharpen up your knife. Here is my leather strop that I use to tune up the edge of my skiving knife. 


 After a few cuts I have a nice taper skived into the piece. 


 Here I am adding a decorative line along the border of the piece. I don't like a lot of ornamentation in leather work, I am pretty utilitarian. But I do like to add some subtle details.


Then it is time to clean up the edge with an edger. Later on this edge will be burnished. 


 Here are my three pieces prepped.


 Then I wet formed the folds and bends into the two pieces.


To be continued... 








No comments:

Post a Comment