Thursday, May 3, 2018

Range Upgrade

New Steel Targets

The Family and I enjoy shooting steel and have some steel silhouette targets that I made. They are knock down targets that go flying when you hit them. They are a lot of fun but I don't really like the kids to have to go down range to reset them. The kids are pretty good about gun safety but they are kids and get excited. So I decided to get some steel hanging targets that the kids could shoot without having to reset. 

I decided to do a little shopping on e bay and ended up finding these. They are 3/8 inch AR500 Steel Targets. I am not familiar with AR500 but from what I have been reading they are a hardened steel. That means that I can shoot them with stuff bigger than 22 Rimfire. So this is going to benefit me as well. 


I decided that I would mount them to a piece of galvanized angle iron that I had laying around in the shop. The angle iron will be screwed to my target stand at the range. 


The targets will be hung with short lengths of chain to allow them to swing when hit. Hopefully deflecting the bullet down and away from the shooter. 



 To mount the chain to the angle I used short bolts. This way I can unscrew the chain easily at the range if I need to replace a chain or want to switch out the targets.  


Here they are installed at the range with a row of my homemade knock down targets below. I will probably paint them black after a little while. But I had white paint laying around so I used it to keep the targets from rusting. 

I put a few shots into them after this picture was taken and I think that I may replace 2 of the 4" targets with 6". My pistol skills are better suited for the 6" targets than the 4". 

No comments:

Post a Comment