Wednesday, May 2, 2018

Weed Control

Vineyard Weed Control

I use several methods of weed control. In the row I mow or disk to remove the weeds. But in the berm (the space between the vines) it is a little more difficult. In this area I spray. I have a sprayer that atomizes the weed killer and applies a very small amount. I prefer to use as little chemicals as possible. In a perfect world I would use a mechanized method to remove the weeds but I have not found one that works reliably for us.

The sprayer is made to work on many tractors so a lot of the bracketry is modular. This is a very nice feature except for the fact that one of the brackets sticks up and if I am not careful it will hit the young shoots and break them off. No shoots = no grapes, so I like to avoid that.

You can see the bracket in this picture circled in red.

I decided that it was time to address this issue. First I drilled a hole so that I could put a bolt through the unit to hold it in place. Then I cut off the part that was extending up. 

Then I fabricated a little fender to push the vines up and out of the way should I hit some. 
 Welded it in place.
 Ground down the welds to make it smooth, added a coat of paint. 
 Here is the final product, It wont win and beauty contests but I think that it should work much better.



No comments:

Post a Comment