Monday, July 30, 2018

Fire...

Summer in California

Growing up in California you get used to Fires. Especially in summer and fall. In the past few years we have had several large fires within 20 miles of our home/vineyard and many small fires that the fire department put out before they got too big. 

Last Saturday I was sitting in my home office enjoying the air conditioning and I heard a loud rumble of a jet engine. I am like a little kid and when I hear a jet engine or rotor blades that are out of the normal; I usually go running out to see what it is. This time it was an MD80 firefighting plane making a low pass over our house. 

Then I noticed the billowing smoke cloud. I was not sure where it was so I climbed up the hill and found that it was on the other side of a major road so we were pretty safe. Turns out it was on a friends ranch. Fortunately they were all fine. 



 The firefighting helicopters were using the pond on the vineyard across the canyon for water so it made for a pretty exciting afternoon. 




I have to say that the firefighters are getting really good at putting out these fires. In the last few months there have been several brush fires in my area and with the help of the fixed wing aircraft and helicopters the fire department has gotten things under control very quickly. This one was contained by the next morning.

So a big thank you to all the Firefighters out there, I sleep much better knowing that you are there when we need you. 


No comments:

Post a Comment