Tuesday, July 17, 2018

Gunsmith Screwdrivers

Screwdrivers

Anyone who tinkers with guns should have some Gunsmith Parallel Ground Screwdrivers. Standard hardware store screwdrivers do more damage to guns than anything else. It is really important to use parallel ground screwdrivers that fit the screw to make sure that you don't damage the heads of screws.

Nothing ruins a nice Rifle or Shotgun like buggered up screws!

I really like the Grace Screwdrivers but there are many other options. Brownell's makes a line of Magna-tip screwdriver bits. They can be inserted into a standard bit driver handle. They make hundreds of sizes and they are only a few dollars a piece. They are a really good option for someone that is just building a tool kit or for a weird size that you don't use often.

If I were to pick only one screwdriver to have it would be the Grace N3, I use it for most of the work that I do on Rifles. It is used for almost every trigger guard and bottom metal screw that I have come across. It is the most useful of all my screwdrivers.

I also have several specialty screwdrivers, there is one for the Leupold ring windage screws on Leupold scope bases and the long Phillips bit that I use for removing recoil pad screws. This is a simple bit that I bought at the hardware store. I polished the bit so that it would not mar the holes in recoil pads.

I have a set of Magna-bits that are very thin, they are made specifically for English Shotguns. I have done some work on my Holland and Holland and I wanted to make sure that I did not screw up the screws on that gun!


Anyway here is my assortment of Gunsmithing Screwdrivers. I keep them in my Gunsmithing Tool Box and they are only used for working on guns. I have a drawer in my regular Tool Box full of Craftsman Screwdrivers that are used for other household projects.

No comments:

Post a Comment