Friday, July 13, 2018

Ranger Service

Servicing the Ranger

I like to take care of my equipment. Equipment is a big investment and I am a firm believer that preventative maintenance prolongs the service life of equipment. I like to do the maintenance myself because it gives me a better understanding of the state that my equipment is in. That and let's face it I am cheap! 

I decided to do a Lube and Oil/Filter Change, Service the Front Gearbox, and the Transmission. I chose to use Polaris parts because they provide kits that have all the components and it was not really clear to me if other commercial lubricants were compatible. 

I figured that this would be a good learning experience for my Son so I asked him to help me. 

Here are all my supplies.


First order of business was to give myself a little clearance below the Ranger to work. I decided to use the redneck method of putting 2x6s under the wheels. 


 I am not sure who designed this Ranger, but you have to be quite a contortionist to be able to change the fluids. Here is a picture of me filling the front transmission.  Getting my hands and a wrench in there was quite the endeavor. 


 You would think that this is a picture of me draining the oil. But actually this is a picture of the oil draining after I filled it. I forgot to put the plug back in after I drained the oil. Remember I said that I decided to use this as a learning experience for my son. Well in this case it was learning how not to do it. 


Eventually I did put the plug back in and filled up all the fluids and the Ranger is now fully serviced and ready to be put back to work. 

No comments:

Post a Comment