Thursday, February 1, 2018

7mm-08 Project #17

Sling Swivels

In this post I will cover how I inlet Sling Swivels. 
 First, I make the brass threaded inserts that I will bond into the stock (I have covered it many times in other posts so I will not repeat it here) then I file down the screw heads and align them so that the screws are running "north and south".
 I mount the stock in a fixture that I built to hold the stock in place so that I can cut the recesses on the mill. Shims and Clamps are used to get it aligned and clamped in place. If something slipped at this point and damaged the stock I am not sure what I would do!
 Here is the mill cutter cutting the slot. 
A clean slot that has just been machined. 
 A test fit and it looks perfect. 

 Then on to the front slot. 
 Again a perfect fit. 

 The swivel then has the brass inserts screwed back on and the brass is bonded to the stock. After a little filing and sanding they look like this. Job done! 

Some consider this cheating because I am using machine tools instead of scrapers and chisels. I think of myself as a Gunbuilder (Hack Gunbuilder actually) not an artist. So I am completely fine using modern tools. I don't believe that it is better just because it is harder. But that is just my opinion.

I will admit that if I walked into Holland and Holland in London and they had automted everything I would be a little disappointed.   

No comments:

Post a Comment