Friday, February 2, 2018

7mm-08 Project #18

Timing Action Screws

I like to make sure that all of my screw heads run "north and south". Meaning that they are aligned running parallel with the barrel. I think that it is a nice touch on a custom rifle. 

This rifle was pillar bedded, meaning that there are aluminum pillars bonded in where the action screw go through the stock. This makes it really easy to have repeatable bedding using a torque wrench to tighten the action screws. It also means that the screws will return to the same place every time. 
 First I assemble the rifle and tighten the screws to the necessary torque. Then I take note of how far the screw head needs to rotate (Angle in degrees). Then I install a dial indicator and turn the screw the same amount in the oppisite direction (see the tape marks) and measure how far it moves. At this point I know how much material I need to remove to make the screw turn the correct angle to line up. Who says that math is useless! 
 Then the screw is taken to the lathe and the computed amount is removed from the underside of the screw. The screw is then deburred and polished. 
If done correctly you will end up with your screws lined up "north and south" 

No comments:

Post a Comment