Friday, February 9, 2018

Shotgun Stock Refinishing

Beretta 686

My Beretta is a great gun. I really enjoy it, and like using it in the field. The one thing that I don't like is the very plain wood that came with the gun. So I decided to get some new wood for this gun.

 I bought this stock set off the internet. This is a high grade Beretta factory stock with an oil finish. I like the figure of the wood but and not really happy with the finish. The finish is very dull and the wood pores were not filled prior to finishing leaving them very open.
 I would like an oil finish a little closer to a London gun oil finish. So I decided to do a little refinishing on this stock set. 
 I wanted to start with rubbing down the existing finish and seeing how much work it would take. Here I am applying Rottenstone (a very fine abrasive) and some Linspeed Oil (Linseed Oil with dryers added). 

This should start filling in the grain and rub down the existing finish. 
 Here is what it looks like, the Rottenstone and Oil turns into a slurry on the wood as it is rubbed in. If you look at the left side of the stock you can see the open pores, on the right side you can see that the slurry is starting to fill the pores.  
Once the Rottenstone and Oil are rubbed in they are wiped off, and the stock is rubbed very vigorously with the palm of the hand. This heats up the thin layer of oil left on the stock and starts the curing process. The stock is then left for 24 hours and the process is repeated. This is a picture of the stock after about 4 applications, the grain is starting to fill in and the stock is starting to take on a satin luster. 
This type of finish is very time consuming but worth it in the end. 

No comments:

Post a Comment