Friday, February 23, 2018

Flashback Friday

Royal Deeside Stalking 2013

I was looking through a few photos the other day and I stumbled across photos from my Deer Stalking trip in 2013. My goal on that trip was to Stalk the traditional way with the Garron (The Highland Name for the Pony) used for Deer extraction. I spent lots of time researching and calling Estates to find one that still used the Pony. 

Unfortunately, times are changing and the Pony is being replaced by the mechanized Argo for extraction. Call me old fashioned but I much prefer the sound of hoofs treading across the heather to the sound and smell of a diesel engine. 

Today this Estate no longer uses the Pony (Garron) as the Argo is more cost effective. Personally I think that they are making a mistake. 

Anyway here are a few pictures of the Ponies (Garrons). 
 Here are a few pictures of my first stag of the trip.  Dan the Ponyman is taking the pony down the bottom of the glen. 
 I asked if I could lead the Pony for a little while and reluctantly they let me. 
 This is the way you should end a day Stalking, walking down the Glen behind a Pony laden with a Stag! 
 Here is my last Stag of the trip getting loaded on the Pony. The scenery was truly breathtaking and a wonderful way to end the trip. 


Getting everything secured. 

 
 Turning the Pony around to head down the hill. 
 The walk out, again this is the way you should end a Stalk
The Ponyman and his Pony on the final stretch to the larder. 

Again call me old fashioned, but give me some warm Tweed, a Highland Glen, a Stag, and a Highland Pony and I am a very happy man!


No comments:

Post a Comment